How does identity verification work
ScootKit works with Stripe to conduct identity verification online. Stripe builds technology that’s used by millions of companies around the world such as Amazon, Google, and Zoom. Stripe helps with everything from accepting payments to managing subscriptions to verifying identities.
Stripe helps ScootKit confirm your identity by conducting the following checks:
- Stripe captures images of the front and back of your government-issued photo ID and reviews it to make sure that the document is authentic. They’ve built an automated identity verification technology that looks for patterns to help determine if an ID document is real or fake. This process is like a bank teller checking your ID document to confirm that it’s real.
- Stripe captures photos of your face and reviews them to confirm that the photo ID belongs to you. They’ve built automated identity verification technology that uses distinctive physiological characteristics of your face (known as biometric identifiers) to match the photos of your face with the photo on the ID document. This process is similar to a bank teller confirming that the photo on your ID document is you based on your appearance—but it’s a higher-tech and more accurate way to identify you as a unique person.
- Stripe collects your name, date of birth, and government ID number, and validates that it’s real. They’ll check this information against a global set of databases to confirm that it exists.
Learn more about how Stripe is storing and handling your data.
What are the best practices for a successful verification?
Before starting the verification process, here’s what you need:
- A valid government-issued photo ID document. Not a photocopy or a picture of an ID document. Ensure that the ID document isn’t expired.
- A device with a camera, if possible, use a mobile device. Cameras on mobile devices typically take higher-quality photos than a webcam.
The quality of the images captured affects success rates dramatically. Below are a few best practices to help make sure that your verification succeeds:
- Capture a clear image. Make sure that the images aren’t too dark or bright, and don’t have a glare. Hold steady and allow your camera to focus to avoid blurry photos.
- Don’t block any part of your ID document in the image. Ideally you can lay it flat to take the photo.
- Don’t block any part of your face. Remove sunglasses, masks, or other accessories.
- Find a location with ambient lighting. Avoid spaces with strong overhead lights that cast a shadow on your face or ID document. Avoid sitting directly in front of a bright light which can wash out your face and add a glare to your ID document.
Who has access to my verification data?
Both ScootKit and Stripe have access to the information that you submit through the verification flow. We rely on Stripe to help store your verification data. Stripe uses access controls and security standards that are at least as stringent as those used to handle their own KYC and payments compliance data.
Learn more about how Stripe handles and stores your data.
Why am I asked to verify my identity?
To ensure compliance with laws and regulations, we might ask you to verify your identity. This can happen when you try to pay out large sums from your SCNX Organization, request access to high-risk-payment-methods, try to collect certain details from your customers or try to engage in certain activities. We'll notify you, once a verification is required and no verification is required to use SCNX in general.
Why was I rejected?
Please make sure you followed our recommendations before starting verification. You can always try again by following instructions in your dashboard. If that doesn't help, please contact [email protected] to request manual verification.
Can I get verified using a different method?
Yes, but we strongly advise you to use Stripe - it takes only few minutes, while manual verification can take multiple days and involves a video-call with our staff. Please contact [email protected] if you want to verify your identity manually.
How can I access or delete my verification data?
- We'll redact the ID Card you provided after we've completed our legal required reviews and will store the acquired data (like your verified Legal Name and Date of Birth) encrypted and separate from other SCNX user data. Data not needed to conduct business will be deleted from our servers when we redact the information at our payment provider Stripe. After redacting the information, we can not longer access it.
- You can request to additionally delete your personal information. This will delete your personal information. Please note that in certain circumstances we are legally required to keep parts of this information (when dealing with pay-outs for example). Please contact [email protected] to request data deletion.
- Stripe might not delete the data when we redact our information after a verification. Please read your agreement with Stripe to learn more about potential continued data storage. ScootKit meets its legal requirement by redacting information from Stripe and deleting data from their servers on request.
- We use Stripe for identity document verification. Stripe retains a copy of all the data provided as part of a verification. You may also have consented to allow Stripe to use your data to improve their technology. You can delete your information from Stripe’s servers or revoke your consent by visiting https://support.stripe.com.